onsdag 13 maj 2009

Is it 1984 in a 2009 version?

The new high tech society offers many possibilities and much danger. We have cameras everywhere, when we make a purchase it is registered and saved and we even invite people to keep an eye on us.

Cameras. Good or bad? Well, it depends on who you're asking. I'm not planning on doing something outside the law and therefore I'm not worried. I don't care if a camera somewhere happens to record me scratching some private parts or picking my nose. If the same camera one day will help the police to solve a rape or a murder, I can live with them seeing me in a precarious situation. (Insertion: Almost the very same minute I aired this text a girl was raped outside a funfair in Gothenburg. The perpetrators could soon be arrested because the whole thing was filmed by secuity ameras in the areas.) If I had been the bad guy I probably would have another opinion. Off course there are risks with all these cameras even for us law-abiding citizens. If the recordings end up in the wrong hands, like the hands of a power-mad politician, things could go awfully wrong.

The same thing goes for credit card registrations when buying stuff. I have nothing to hide but I can understand people who don't want anyone to know exactly how many bottles of vodka they consume in a week. Here I'm thinking about a murder case fron the north of Sweden where the police got access to the alcohole habits of a murder suspect. I don't think he was amused at all.

So, what do I mean when I say that we even invite people to keep an eye on us? It started with a new kind of shows on TV called Docu-soaps. Ordinary people was put in different inviroments having cameras filming 24-7. Remember Big Brother and Survivor (Robinson)? Baren? Now we don't need to watch TV to get close to others, we only need a computer. People tend to be quite naïve when it comes to this medium. Without a second thought do we share pictures, films and sound from parties, christmas at granmother's or a family dinner at home. I have Facebook myself but I'm very cautious with what pictures of me I want others to see and I never put pictures of my children out on the Internet. They haven't said OK and they're too young to make that decision and I'm not the one to make it for them. I have friends who put every single party picture out on Facebook, even though we constantly read about employers who look up future employees and who makes an opinion about the person based on these pictures. Who wants to employ someone who seems to have a drink in his/her hand all the time? Think about it... especially if you want to be a teacher.....

After racking my mind about my feelings toward an Orwell society I can conclude that I have mixed feelings.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Hi
    first I want to say that you write very well. you have a good vocabulary and it's easy to read your text.

    You have good paraghraphs, dealing with different topics and good linking devices

    you made some thoughful points, good on you.

    /ulrika

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hello!

    You are a really good writer! The text is easy to follow and you have all paragraphs were they should be.

    You have many thoughtful thoughts that I can agree with. I think it’s just like you say important to think about what you put out on the internet.

    So, just go on writing like that! /Åsa

    SvaraRadera