tisdag 14 april 2009

The koncept of waiting

It was all about waiting when I was a little girl.
There was always something to wait for, to look forward to. That is something I would like to pass on to my children. Children of today don't really know the meaning of waiting anymore. They live in a society that provides everything at any time.

Things that have changed since my days:

Icecream. I remember how they used to sell out all ice lollies and cones before winter arrived and then you had to wait until they returned in April. This feeling when I took my bike out, also for the first time since late autumn, and rode it to the store (zig-zaging between puddles of snow on the street) to buy the first real icecream of the year was priceless. To stand outside in the sun with one of the new flavours of the year in my hand, taking the first bite, was sensational. Now you can buy ice lollies all year round.

Cartoon on TV. Every Saturday morning I placed myself in front of the TV to watch "Gomorron Sverige" - a boring morning show for adults which also aired five or ten minutes of cartoon shows for children, I recall it being Woody Woodpecker.This and on "Lilla Sportspegeln", once a week, were the only occasions (except one hour of Donald Duck and his friends on Christmas eve) where we kids got to se cartoon series on TV. Today you have Cartoon Networks, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and God knows what else, which provides us with cartoons almost 24-7.

The two things mentioned above are things I can't prevent. I can't really fight it just to give my kids the same feelings I once had because they are out of reach for me, nothing I have any influence in. But there are things I can do to teach them the value of waiting and to give them something to remember as adults, just like I have. It can be little things like longing for Friday when the family is gathered and we eat crisps and watch something on TV together, or it can be building up expectations for Christmas.... or as I did now during Easter when I talked a lot about the Easter Bunny for a few days and when the right day came I told my kids that the Bunny was too shy to come when they were around and then sent them upstairs to play while I went out in the garden to hide an Easter Egg full of candy. Then I draw a map, put i strategically where they could find it and then called them down. They immediately chased after the treasure with frenzy only children have. I think I managed to give them something to remember.

2 kommentarer:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog about Childhood memories. I totally agree with you, children of today don´t need to wait as before. Everything comes very quickly today and they can watch TV and eat Ice-cream every day. If they learn to wait for something it will be a lot funnier when they will get it!

    Your beginning are very good and I wan´t to read more, it makes me interested in what comes next.
    the two paragraphs about Ice-cream and TV really relate to the introduction. Every paragraph have a clear purpose and you really explain why you think this way.

    According to the sheet we got from Marika, about fast food and how to write a text, it has three main paragraphs were the reasons of the text are presentated. You only have two reasons of why you think as you do, and according to this text it should be three. If you had one more purpose/reason it would have been even more clearly why you think this way.

    You have a conclusion were you connect all reasons and the introduction very well. Your grammar and writing are excellent, keep on writing these good texts. the text have blank lines between paragraphs and that is good and make your text easier to read.

    This is a very well written text!
    Best Regards Rebecca O Carlander

    SvaraRadera
  2. The text you’ve written could also be mine (smile). I recognize all of it. I really enjoy the reading. I’ll agree with you, that children today never have to wait for anything. But then we could wonder, why? We as parents always let our children have almost everything they want and immediately. That’s why I think the hysterics influences also have been taken place.

    You have a great beginning. All the paragraphs begin with a phrase or words, which invites you to read more. The end is lovely with a summary.

    I couldn’t find anything that the assignment wants to have that you haven’t, so from me you only have positive feed-back./Mia

    SvaraRadera